Whom do you think of as leaders in your office environment? Your boss? The CEO? It’s easy to point to people with big titles as the obvious leaders of a company. The truth is, you are a business leader too. Whether or not you are “in charge” of other people at work, you are a business leader because you have influence in your workplace. An article on Hubspot says this about leadership: “Leaders set the ethical standards and tone of their organizations by their behavior.” Your ideas, opinions, and attitude hold a lot of power. What you say to your co-workers at the water cooler holds just as much power as what you say in a meeting. Be a leader by choosing to build up your office environment rather than tear it down.
Leading ASJ Partners has taught me a lot about leadership, and I am still learning more every day. One thing that I’ve found most helpful over the years is to take notes and listen to advice from other leaders. Below is a roundup of some of my favorite quotes on leadership. Copy and paste the ones that speak to you, and put them somewhere visible in your office as a reminder of what you seek to achieve.
1. “You manage things; you lead people.” Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper
2. “Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” Jack Welch
3. “My own definition of leadership is this: The capacity and the will to rally men and women to a common purpose and the character which inspires confidence.” General Montgomery
4. “To command is to serve, nothing more and nothing less.” Andre Malraux
5. “The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority.” Kenneth Blanchard
6. “Outstanding leaders go out of their way to boost the self-esteem of their personnel. If people believe in themselves, it’s amazing what they can accomplish.” Sam Walton
7. “A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent.” Douglas MacArthur
8. “A great leader’s courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.” John Maxwell
9. “Integrity is the bedrock of effective leadership. Only you can lose your integrity.” Hubspot
10. “Lead and inspire people. Don’t try to manage and manipulate people. Inventories can be managed but people must be lead.” Ross Perot
11. “We live in a society obsessed with public opinion. But leadership has never been about popularity.” Marco Rubio
12. “True leadership lies in guiding others to success. In ensuring that everyone is performing at their best, doing the work they are pledged to do and doing it well.” Bill Owens
13. “What you do has far greater impact than what you say.” Stephen Covey
14. “Earn your leadership every day.” Michael Jordan
15. “The growth and development of people is the highest calling of leadership.” Harvey Firestone
16. “Leadership is unlocking people’s potential to become better.” Bill Bradley
17. “As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others.” Bill Gates
18. “Leaders think and talk about the solutions. Followers think and talk about the problems.”
Leadership is a lifetime lesson you have to commit to learn and improve every day. ASJ Partners is currently looking to hire people who are ready to take the lead in an innovative team setting. Take a look at our job listings; if you have the right skill and plenty of creativity, we’d love to see your résumé.
Which quote resonates with you the most? What quote(s) would you add? Share your thoughts. We love to hear from you.